Success only flourishes in perseverance -- ceaseless, restless perseverance.
--Baron Manfred Von Richtofen

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Angie's Writing Conference Survival Guide

LDS Storymakers conference is this weekend! I'm going to Storymakers for the first time, but I've been to several writing conferences lately, so I feel qualified to post this handy, dandy survival guide. Please note, this is my personal survival guide. Your survival may require something different.

Before the Conference:
1. Arrange for childcare. Practice believing that even though there are about ten major family events going on this weekend, the family will not fall apart in your absence. Your hubby's an amazing, capable guy. Your kids are independent. You gave up co-dependency years ago. Really. Your recovering, remember? It'll be fine.

2. Decide what to wear. Shopping may be required at this point.

3. Get a good night's sleep, especially since you'll have to get up at an hour you normally consider indecent.

4. When you get up at that indecent hour, don't forget to pray. 'Nuff said.

At the Conference:
What to bring:
A backpack (it's easy to carry around)
A notebook for taking notes
The notebook with your novel in it (who knows, you may get to write)
Copies of the chapter for the Bootcamp critique group
Lots of pens
Snacks
Water
Gum
Advil
Cash
Self-confidence

What to do:
1. Remember why you are there. You are there to have fun, to meet new people, to reconnect with writing friends, to get excited about writing.

2. Remember what you are not there to do. You are not there to compare yourself to others. You are not there to feel like a dork. You are not there to have people pay attention to you.

3. Listen to your body. Have a snack when you need it. Take a break when you need it. Try to stay relaxed. Use relaxation techniques if necessary. This will hopefully minimize the sheer exhaustion at the end of the day.

4. Forget about yourself and look for ways to make other people happy. It's not about you anyway.

5. Be happy. Remember you are awesome, 'cuz you are.

Well, there you have it. Looks like I'm going to have a great time! Can't wait to see a whole bunch of you there!

21 comments:

Tracy said...

Nicely done. Now, how about a survival guide for your amazing, capable hubby?

Linz said...

Great guide! Have fun!

Lindsey Duncan said...

Nice post! Have a great time.

From prior experience, my list also includes "have a simple logline for my novel(s)" if someone asks me, "So what's your book about?" ... because it's come up and that question terrifies me. Don't want to blather and bore people - or stare like a deer caught in headlights. ;-)

Carolyn V. said...

Excellent post Angie! Just what I needed today. I'm so excited for the conference! Can't wait to see you there! =)

Matthew MacNish said...

Great advice, thanks for sharing Angie!

My only question is what's wrong with feeling like a dork?

Joanne said...

Great advice, thanks for sharing. Sounds like you'll have a wonderful time at the conference, and I hope you'll share your thoughts afterwards too!

Stephanie McGee said...

Have fun at the conference? Will you be at the Borders shindig tomorrow night?

Danyelle L. said...

Nice! I'm getting the pre-conference jitters and am already feeling like a dork. >.< Fortunately, I can't get a refund, so it looks like I'll be there. :)

Aubrie said...

These are great tips! Does confidence come in a bottle?

Yes, I compare myself to others and it always makes me sad, so why do I do it? I don't know. Good advice, Angie!

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Great advice! I'll be there as well. Say hi if you see me. It would be great to meet you in person. :)

Suzette Saxton said...

Oh YES, I do so LOVE this post!

Larry and Cindy said...

YOU GO ANGIE...YOU ARE NOT OR NEVER HAVE BEEN A DORK. YOU ARE A BEAUTIFUL, CONFIDENT WRITER THAT IS SOON TO FIND A PUBLISHER FOR YOUR FIRST NOVEL. I KNOW YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO, JUST LOOK AT ALL YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED AND #1 IS YOU NEVER-EVER GIVE UP!!! Your Loving Mother, Cindy

Jan Markley said...

I find children's writing conferences start redonculously early! Granola bar and a confident attitude are must brings! Have a great conference and meet lots of new writing friends!

Angie said...

Phew! I survived. It was awesome.

Elana Johnson said...

This is the best post ever! So glad to have seen you this weekend, Angie! :)

Rosslyn Elliott said...

Great tips, especially #1. Ha ha! SO many of us are convinced the family will fall apart in our absence, but mine has always done fine despite my worries.

Jackee said...

Sooo sad I missed out. Maybe next year...

And I especially love #4. Very true--at least I'm happier when I don't make it all about me.

Thanks for sharing, Angie! :o)

Nichole Giles said...

Great guide, Angie! It was so good to see you at the conference this weekend. Good times had by all, huh?

See you at the next local thing!

Nichole

Anonymous said...

I brought most of these things at my last conference. I'm still a conference newbie, but next time I'm going to be more organized.

Tana said...

I love the fact you remember you are awesome! That's great. Everyone should have that great an attitude!

Anonymous said...

And I believe you did all of those remarkably well. Especially the making others happy, bit. I'm always happy to see you!