Success only flourishes in perseverance -- ceaseless, restless perseverance.
--Baron Manfred Von Richtofen

Monday, July 19, 2010

Speaking of Rejecion

The other day I came upstairs to check my email and found a rejection letter in my inbox. A form rejection. I was bummed. I had getting personal rejections from them. It was quite discouraging. But in the same batch of email, I also had this:

"Perseverance means to continue in a given course until we have reached a goal or objective, regardless of obstacles, opposition, and other counter influences...Perseverance is a positive, active characteristic...It gives us hope by helping us realize that the righteous suffer no failure except in giving up and no longer trying."  Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin

I admit, at first I was feeling so depressed by the rejection that I only gave the quote a cursory glance. But later that night while cleaning out my inbox, I opened it again and read it more carefully. I knew then that God was looking out for me. That He was aware of my discouragement. That He wanted me to keep trying.

And who am I to argue with God?

You've seen the quote at the top of the blog right? It bears repeating:
"Success flourishes only in perseverance--ceaseless, restless perseverance."
That's from Baron Manfred Von Richtofen, aka: The Red Baron.

So, to leave you with some encouragement today:


17 comments:

Joanne said...

I'm sorry about the rejection, they're never easy :( Maybe there's something to take away from the rejection, some tweak to the query letter perhaps, that can bring a "yes" to the next query!

Eric said...

Sorry you received a rejection, but your quote is very true. No matter how many obstacles we encounter, we have to keep struggling upwards towards the summit.

Linz said...

Bummer!! Keep your chin up and, as your quote said - never never never give up!!!

Aubrie said...

Thanks for this encouragement, Angie! If you keep at it, I will, too.

Sorry to hear about your rejection. Blah.

Terry W. Ervin II said...

Best thing to do? Look over the rejected piece, then find another market and send it off.

I do like the Red Baron's quote :)

Cherie Reich said...

That's too bad about the rejection. Form letters are the worse. But, that is one inspirational quote. :)

LisaAnn said...

Rejection is something I don't handle well in any faucet of my life. Thanks for that quote!

Angie said...

Thanks for the commiseration, guys! I tend to get over the rejections pretty quick, I'm so used to it. Glad you like the quote! I do too.

Rosslyn Elliott said...

That is a neat message! I'm glad you received it at just the right time.

Tana said...

Aw, I'm sorry. Lord knows I've been there. I'm glad your not giving up. I hope the road your on takes you to great places!

Christina Lee said...

SO there with you! *hugs* how very interesting that the perseverence email was in there! WOW!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Rejections are a bummer...But it makes you one step closer to finding the RIGHT publisher. :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog and joining in on the random fun...

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

ah, how awesome! I love it when we get some spiritual enlightenment to help 'lighten' the load!

Nichole Giles said...

Yeah, I feel your pain. Been there lots lately. I got a hard rejection last week, then another one on Sunday night (I know, right???) and a third one today. But those three rejections put me three steps closer to finding that one yes. Right? Right.

Okay. Now resubmit. You're officially entered into the 2010 rejection contest!

Angela said...

Loved this post, it brightened my day.

Lindsey Edwards said...

I love that quote Angie! Thanks for sharing!

Dr. Mohamed said...

Hang in there, Angie. You're still writing and that's what counts.