Success only flourishes in perseverance -- ceaseless, restless perseverance.
--Baron Manfred Von Richtofen

Friday, November 11, 2011

Fun Happenings on my Facebook Page

I don't know if you've checked out my Facebook page yet. I am trying to make it interactive and fun. A page that people will want to visit and like. Here's what I've got going on.

Monday is question day. I use the Facebook question feature to ask things like who is your favorite character from Lord of the Rings or your favorite line from Stars Wars or the Princess Bride. Things like that. It's fun to see how everybody answers. I love how when my kids answer, their friends all jump on to answer too. Fun to see what people think.

Wednesdays I post a fun link. This week was a link to a production video from The Hobbit. (Man, I can't wait for that to come out!) Or it might be an interesting article or cool picture. I try to make them sci-fi related.

Friday is my favorite, though. It's Fiction Friday! I post a link to a great sci-fi or fantasy short story. So far they've all been from Mindflights, since I know those stories are great. Pop over and check out today's posting. It's a wonderful tale. I'll post a new one each Friday.

So, come check it out. So far I'm pleased with the results. Last week, one of my top three favorite authors, Julie Czerneda, liked my page. That pretty much made my life! =) I am also planning a separate page for Defenders of the Covenant closer to its release. More to come on that later.

Do you have a Facebook page? Let me know and I'll go like it if I haven't already.

Got any other suggestions on how to make a Facebook page fun and successful? I'd love to hear them.

10 comments:

Terry W. Ervin II said...

I do have a facebook page, but not one that's writing focused.

Stephanie McGee said...

I had one but then I deactivated my Facebook account and really haven't looked back since. I have no ideas for making a page successful or interesting. It just became one more thing I had to keep track of and it wasn't worth it.

Melanie Goldmund said...

LDS Publisher put up a series of posts this week about Facebook pages. It seems to be part of the package of successful authors and other celebrities, along with websites and other whatnots. But I can't help it -- there's just something about this whole social networking thing that I don't like. Maybe I feel overwhelmed in this particular medium. Or maybe I'm just not all that social.

I'm right behind you on wanting to see The Hobbit -- no, actually, I'm in front of you! *elbows Bilbo out of the way* Scram, Hobbit! You're blocking my view of Thorin Oakenshield, played by my favourite actor Richard Armitage. *drool*

Angie said...

Is it for politics, Terry?

Melanie, I think when it comes to social networking you should do what you're comfortable with, so I wouldn't worry about it. The most important thing is to write a great book.

Aubrie said...

I don't have facebook. Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the well wishes for my book signing today!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I believe we already like each others author pages.

Yours sounds a lot more exciting and organized than mine! :)

T. M. Hunter said...

My author page on facebook tends to get a few likes now and again, but always looking for ideas on how to achieve more interaction...

Old Kitty said...

Sounds like you are truly having a blast with your FB page! Enjoy! I don't have an FB page - the blog keeps me very very busy! Take care
x

Angie said...

You're welcome, Aubrie. Hope the signing went well.

Todd, I've found the questions pretty effective, as long as I get a few people to answer. I will usually directly ask those I know won't be annoyed (my family), and then their friends will see and answer it too.

MTeacress said...

I've been enjoying your facebook page - especially the questions. I look forward to the day I can make one, and I'll be sure to make it fun, now that you've pointed that out. Good idea. :)