Success only flourishes in perseverance -- ceaseless, restless perseverance.
--Baron Manfred Von Richtofen

Monday, June 25, 2012

The ABCs of a Writing Life

Yesterday, I was reminded of this article by Thomas S. Monson, president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In it he outlines the ABCs of an abundant life. I believe these ABCs are important for an abundant writing life also.

A is for attitude. Attitude is everything. President Monson said:

So much in life depends on our attitude. The way we choose to see things and respond to others makes all the difference....We can’t direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails. For maximum happiness, peace, and contentment, may we choose a positive attitude.

So, so true. When things aren't going your way, when you feel discouraged, when writing is just plain hard work, your attitude about it  can make all the difference.

B is for believe. Believe in yourself. Believe in your dreams. President Monson said:

Don’t limit yourself and don’t let others convince you that you are limited in what you can do. Believe in yourself and then live so as to reach your possibilities.

This is so important. I know how easy it is to feel like your writing is horrible and you're just wasting your time. I know how easy it is to think you'll never achieve your dreams. I know because I have been and there and am still there often. Don't listen to the voice of doubt. You can do this. You just have to believe!

C is for courage. Writing is no job for wimps. President Monson said:

Courage is required to make an initial thrust toward one’s coveted goal, but even greater courage is called for when one stumbles and must make a second effort to achieve.

Have the determination to make the effort, the single-mindedness to work toward a worthy goal, and the courage not only to face the challenges that inevitably come but also to make a second effort, should such be required. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says, “I’ll try again tomorrow.”

"I'll try again tomorrow." I think I say that at the end of every day. Soldier on, my friends!

9 comments:

tiffany said...

thank you for shareing this works for everything in lifr i think

thanks for being a wonderful sister

Melanie Goldmund said...

Absolutely right! Thanks for the reminder, Angie! :-)

Angie said...

Love you, Tiff!

Thanks, Melanie!

Aubrie said...

Wow, I agree! My favorite one is courage.

Linz said...

I love that talk! Thank you for the reminder!!

MTeacress said...

I <3 President Monson. I wonder who cheers him up when he's down. He's always going around cheering everybody else up. He's awesome.

Misha Gerrick said...

So true. Writing will become impossible for me if I buckle beneath my fears and stop believing that I can succeed.

Thanks for sharing!

Misha Gerrick said...

So true. Writing will become impossible for me if I buckle beneath my fears and stop believing that I can succeed.

Thanks for sharing!

Carolyn V said...

I agree. Thanks for the awesome post Angie!