Success only flourishes in perseverance -- ceaseless, restless perseverance.
--Baron Manfred Von Richtofen

Friday, October 26, 2012

This could change everything!

As I have mentioned before, I desperately want to shorten the time it takes me to write a novel. I am hoping to start in November and write a novel in 100 days. Isn't it interesting how the universe seems to put things in your path just when you need them most? Yesterday, I read a blog post (actually two) from Melanie Bennett about how she significantly increased her word count without spending more time writing. She referred me to a post by Rachel Aaron about how she went from 2K to 10K per day. (Per day! And here I'm aiming for 1K per day. Baby steps, right?) Her triangle is so simple and yet amazing. Knowledge, time, and enthusiasm.

I found both posts hugely inspirational. I think this could really change my life. I am so excited to try. Go read them and tell me what you think!

Now for a couple of announcements.

Photo by Julien Tromuer
Five more days to enter the short story contest! The entries are starting to flow in and I am so excited to read them. If you're thinking about submitting, please do. Any genre, under 7500 words. Go for it! Deadline is October 31.








 My short Christmas story, "Broken Things" comes out in the anthology Checkin' It Twice on November 15! Yay! I've been interviewed over on the Checkin' It Twice blog. Come read about my love affair with all things Christmas.

Have a great weekend!

9 comments:

Shallee said...

Yay for your story coming out! And I love those tips on those blogs about increasing word count. I'll have to try some of those tips!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I wrote two first drafts of two novels in five months using one simple rule: write 2,000 words every two days. It really worked. For me, I just made my word count one of my top priorities. Now I'm taking a break, although I'm still working on revisions and edits, of course. :)

Jewel Allen said...

Congrats on your short story! And thanks for that link to Rachel. What an amazing idea. I will have to try it! Have a great weekend, too!

Terry W. Ervin II said...

Hoping you're able to pick up the pace of writing as you desire!

T. M. Hunter said...

I do most of the items described, in terms of the outlining...now to figure out a way to improve the motivation to sit down and write. Erp.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Congratulations on your story and the interview!

I joined the NaNoWriMo craze a few years ago, and I've noticed a significant difference in my writing habits since then. After writing 50,000 words in a month, I know I can tackle regular writing habits daily for the rest of the year.

dellgirl said...

Stopping by to say hello! I hope you are doing okay. Have a marvelous week!

Thanks for sharing this information and these writing tips, it’s very helpful

Larry and Cindy said...

Just stopping by to say HI and keep up the good work!!!

Anonymous said...

I read those same 3 posts! And I'm trying to implement that right now. I also used Dan Wells 7 point story structure to outline my latest plot and I'm hoping the writing time will fly by now. Here's to both of us!