Success only flourishes in perseverance -- ceaseless, restless perseverance.
--Baron Manfred Von Richtofen

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

One Word Interview with Dave ("D.J.") Butler

Today's One Word Interview is with my friend and fantastic author, Dave ("D.J.") Butler, author of Whitney Award finalist, City of the Saints and the action packed Rock Band Fights Evil series. Welcome to the writing chair!

 You've even backed into a dark alley by a bad guy who wants to kill you. Which of your characters do you want by your side?
Eddie Marlowe.  He doesn't leave anyone behind.

From Rock Band Fights Evil. I love Eddie. I would seriously choose him too.

If you could travel back in time, what era would you visit?
Late 7th century B.C.  I'd like to see what was really going on in King Josiah's Jerusalem.

That would be really fascinating. And possibly dangerous.

We are holding a banquet in honor of your awesomeness. What are we serving for dessert?
Basilisk Etouffe'.

Okay. I think that beats Jaleta's chilled monkey brains for most interesting dessert!

You've been set down in the middle of your latest book. Weapon of choice?
Aagh!  If I'm set down in the middle of almost any book I've written, I pretty much die immediately.  In this case, in horrible ways.  But since I'm working on my Space Eldritch II story, at least I get a couple of shots off with a blaster before I go.

Um, that was a little more than one word, but I'll let it go this time. (Side note: You are right. It would be deadly to be set down in any of your books!)

What historical figure would you most like to have lunch with?
Ooh, I'm torn.  Benjamin of Tudela.  Or Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton.

They both sound like such interesting adventurers! How fun.

Thanks for being in the writing chair today, Dave! Check out Dave's Whitney Award finalist, Mormon steampunk novel, City of the Saints.

 

 Dave Butler is a lawyer by training, a corporate trainer by profession, and a novelist for the sheer thrill of it.  Dave studies obscure languages (Welsh and Middle Egyptian, anyone?) and plays guitars.  He grew up in Utah and has lived lots of places since.  He, his wife, and their three kids are currently in the process of moving to the New York City area.


2 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

Fun interview, Angie. Monkey brains? *gag*

Renae Weight Mackley said...

Nice interview, even if one-word answers don't always work.
Congrats to D.J. on being a Whitney finalist. Mormon steampunk sounds interesting.